We're searching everywhere for a new...
“In my opinion, the future of mobile is the future of everything.” Matt Galligan
Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 5 hours
Interviews: Around 6 hours over a few weeks, including some practical work
Salary: €40,000 - €50,000 (We're flexible on this, so please don't resist applying due to budget)
Reporting to: Héctor Gómez, our Engineering Lead
Ask us anything: email@example.com or check out our FAQ for candidates here
Your mission at Whereby*
Help us service 5 million monthly active users, with 250TB of daily traffic, by developing and improving Whereby’s mobile applications, taking remote collaboration to the next level.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your focus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-lead, and expertly designed engineering team. We are an engineering-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market.
We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our engineering team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our iOS Engineer
We’re looking for a passionate developer who has experience working with designing and building advanced applications for mobile platforms (mainly iOS but preferably web and/or Android too). You possess a passion for pushing mobile technologies to the limit and enjoy working in a team of talented engineers to design and build our mobile applications. You are willing to step outside of the box in an effort to raise the bar in mobile technology development
You may be just the right person if others have described you as a iOS Engineer who embodies the below competencies...
Your previous experience
We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kinds of teams you've built in favour of years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you...
- Are a current iOS Developer, mobile developer or similar
- Have proven working experience with iOS development
- Have solid experience of the full mobile development life-cycle
- Have experience working with mobile applications with a huge user base
- Have experience working with Swift (iOS)
- Working knowledge of the general mobile landscape, architectures, trends, and emerging technologies
- Experience from WebRTC and/or RTP, Objective-C, Android and web development is a plus
- Enjoy working in distributed teams
- Have a passion for technology and the ability to learn new concepts quickly
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- Uptime and reliability of our applications.
- Completion of parity features with iOS app with the web.
- App reviews and increased satisfaction rates.
- Robustness and improved application performance.
- Improve our presence in the mobile platforms while exploring and expanding to other platforms.
- Work on improving applications performance by continuously discover, evaluate and implement new technologies to maximise development efficiency.
- Drive innovation on our mobile applications.
- Design, build and maintain the next generation of our iOS and/or Android platforms.
- Help maintain code quality, organisation and automatisation while identifying and correcting bottlenecks and fixing bugs.
- Unit-test code for robustness, including edge cases, usability and general reliability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features.
- Work close with our support and sales team to solve app related questions.
- Contribute to an engineering culture based on high-quality code, data-driven discussions, technological innovation, business acumen, inclusion and diversity.
- Identify opportunities from new technologies, and make suggestions for how they can be used to improve our products.
- You will be working with a high-performing engineering team and get a chance to dive deep into complex technical problems
- You’ll get the chance to work with modern development tools and methodologies and will have a real opportunity to impact both.
- We offer career progression opportunities both for manager roles (Engineering Lead) and technical expert roles. The mobile app team is progressing and there might be great opportunities for being part of this journey going forward.
- We encourage developers to attend one course/conference event per year, and attend relevant events on a frequent basis.