What we're looking for
Our mission in Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive. We believe people do their best work when they are happy and live a meaningful life. By introducing flexibility to collaborate over video from anywhere, people can take back control of their work day and reduce the stress of balancing work and personal life. We believe flexibility will define the future of work, and you have the chance to help us shape it.
We are looking for a passionate backend developer to join our API team. You'll be working with our Developer API used by our customers to expand their businesses with video conferencing support. Our API is seeing massive interest, as it lets customers add video to their site within hours, not months. Whereby already has 5 million monthly active users (and growing), working with the API team you will be instrumental in making a video platform that users love available in new contexts and use cases.
As an API engineer at Whereby you’ll be part of a tight knit team that deploys code several times a day. We aim to solve customer problems and validate our designs through user testing or limited rollouts. As an engineer you'll be involved in the solution design process early on, in order to quickly identify the best way to build something to test, while also keeping in mind the requirements for robustness, performance, security, and scalability that a deployed solution needs.
What will a typical week look like?
- Working closely with the rest of of engineering, product managers, sales and customer support in making our API a full-blown product, with great documentation, a beautiful API, and configuration options that meet customers' needs.
- Discussing how new features can be built, and how requests from API customers can be met.
- Coming up with the best way to structure our data and ensuring our backend architecture is sane, secure and scalable. We strive for security and privacy by design and want things to be robust when we ship them to all users.
- Writing easy-to-read and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Getting insights in how end users use our product and making suggestions for how we can constantly improve the user experience.
- Sharing what you’re doing and any problems you’re having in the daily team standup.
- Contribute to breaking all assignments into smaller tasks that can realistically fit in a two-week sprint.
- Demoing your work from the past sprint every other Thursday.
- Working with Node.js and GitHub, using our CI/CD server to deploy things to our AWS infrastructure as soon as they’re ready.
- Getting your colleagues to review your code before it is merged, and helping them with reviewing theirs. Giving constructive feedback and suggestions for how to improve code quality, security and scalability.
- Contributing to planning how a problem or task can be best solved, and work independently and efficiently on implementing the parts you are responsible for.
What experience and skills are we looking for?
- Demonstrated experience with fullstack or backend development
- Experience designing and managing APIs
- Expert knowledge of information security principles
- You develop code in a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure.
- You communicate efficiently and do development in collaboration with others
- Strong ability to be self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your tasks through to release
- Preferably academic background in computer science (BSc or MSc)
- You can work remotely from anywhere, but we have a window of +2/-6 hours from the CET timezone. The majority of our team is based in Europe, and our current policy is that we all overlap with at least 3 of the "regular" Europe working hours (9-17 CET).
- The role will report to the API team's Product Manager for daily work, but will also be part of a larger Engineering team.
- Whereby is a fast-growing scaleup with a global user base of more than 5 million users per month and $7M+ ARR, on the verge becoming a mass-market product. By joining our team now, you get a chance to take part in the journey of building up our product!
- You will be an integral part of the process of designing the product, not just implementing specs.
- You get to choose your own development machine and which tools to run on them.
- You get to work with modern development tools and methodologies, and will have real opportunity to impact both.
- You will become part of a tightly knit team of highly passionate people who aim to create the best possible user experience. We are not afraid of challenging status quo and aim for radical simplicity in everything we do. Whereby has been ranked by business users as the #1 easiest-to-use video conferencing tool, ahead of competitors like Zoom, Google Meet and Skype.
- We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives is needed to create the best products and services. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and welcome applicants with any background, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or else - our differences only make us stronger.
- We have a remote working policy allowing people to work from anywhere and manage their own day - also when the world is not in the middle of a lockdown.
- We have awesome team building trips at least once a year, where we meet up in person to form personal relationships (although not when the world is in the middle of a lockdown).
Whereby is made by a team of ca. 50 passionate people spread across 17 locations in the small, independent Norwegian company Video Communication Service AS and parent company Videonor AS. The journey started in 2013 when the service was called appear.in, and in 2019 we went through a big rebranding process to become Whereby.
Our team lives our vision of working flexibly every day. Some team members live in big cities, others in small villages where their families are. If they need to move, their job moves with them. Even though we have an office in Oslo, everyone there can choose where to work from every day. For our team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards this direction. This is the vision you will be working with communicating to the world.