We're searching everywhere for a new...
Whereabouts: We work from everywhere within CET +/- 5 hours. Knowledge of EU privacy legislation is required.
Reporting to: Chief Product Officer Ingrid Ødegaard
Ask us anything: email@example.com or check out our FAQ for candidates here
Your mission at Whereby*
To turn privacy into a competitive advantage and something our product differentiates on, by driving processes that build privacy and security into our design and development process, and evangelizing it internally and externally.
*This is the mission that moves you and your team through our strategic roadmap, and should be your foucus for up to a year or two.
What is Whereby all about
Freedom to work from anywhere: our mission with Whereby is to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive.
📍 Our global HQ is in Oslo, Norway, but our users (and team) are worldwide - having been used in nearly every country in the world by millions of folk. 🌏
By making it possible to collaborate as well over video as you can in real life, we want to give you the choice to work from where your life happens. To allow you to be in a place where you can think and focus, but also allow a seamless and instant connection with others when you need to.
For our 60 team members, and also for our customers, we know that the ability to decouple location from work can be life-changing. They can afford the house they want, can spend less time commuting, be closer to nature, and their children get to grow up seeing their grandparents every day. Everyone on our team enjoys the enormous benefits that a flexible work policy brings, and we truly believe the future of work will gravitate towards our vision of the future.
Product & Engineering at Whereby
We strongly believe in the superpowers of a well-lead, and expertly designed product & engineering team. We are a product-centric business who hopes to scale our operation sustainably, with beautiful code, an ethical approach to our users and data, and an innovative opinion on new technologies in the market.
We try to ensure both that we are building the right thing and building the thing right. We analyse data, talk to users, prototype and iterate. We focus on discovering and solving user problems, not just building and shipping features. As a member of our product team you’ll take on a key role in this process and see your work be used by millions of users worldwide.
🔍 What we're looking for in our Privacy Counsel
We're looking for someone who has experience dealing with privacy questions in software, and can balance compliance with great user experience and commercial opportunities. We don't mind if you've managed a team, been an individual contributor or consultant, as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty while keeping eyes on the high-level strategy and our users' expectations.
You may be just the right person if others have described you as a Privacy Counsel who embodies the below competencies...
- Great at managing multiple stakeholders
- Industrious and well-structured
- Commercial, with a privacy mindset
- Innovative and creative
- Convincing communicator
- Good technical understanding
Your previous experience
We are prioritising attitude, aptitude, and the kind of results you've shown in favour of years' experience. With that said, you may be a good fit if you...
- Are a current Privacy Officer, Privacy Counsel, Senior Consultant, Privacy Lawyer, Legal Advisor
- Have experience building and owning privacy processes and compliance across several departments/teams,
- Have expert knowledge of EU privacy legislation,
- Enjoy working in distributed teams with a high degree of autonomy,
- Work on a international product/project with high numbers of users,
- Proud to say you do things differently; working outwardly and inwardly to build a user-centric privacy culture which sets new standards in the tech industry, and
- Are a really nice person with loads of ambition!
🌎 We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. We open our doors (physical or url) to everyone and we see our differences as a strength; it’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission.
This means we see your unique history as having a value money cannot buy; we believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
⚒️ The nuts and bolts of the role
🌟 How we'll measure your success
- Process efficiency and quality when it comes to monitoring compliance and handling incidents
- Engineering and product roadmap completion (working with Ingrid on how we deliver what our customers don't even know they need).
- Engagement and satisfaction of users who engage with our privacy information and features
- Attention generated around privacy as a differentiating factor in the industry
- Own and develop Whereby's privacy strategy, a cornerstone in our ambition to have the most satisfied and loyal customers
- Monitor compliance, by managing all processes and documents related to privacy (e.g. weekly reviews, data inventory, TOS, risk and vendor assessments) to ensure ethical use of data
- Act as our Data Protection Officer, overseeing that the company protects users and respects their privacy rights
- Build privacy into our brand in a way that differentiates us in the industry
- Evangelize privacy internally and externally
- Take lead on privacy discussions in management and teams, by informing and advising the organization of obligations under applicable law
- Bring forward technical and privacy-elevating ideas to further our company (even if they challenge the status-quo).
- Ensure that privacy and security controls are in place and documented
- Work with product teams and engineering in developing new features in a privacy-friendly way
- Work through questions around data and privacy with management and team members
- Assess risk and balance it with user experience and commercial opportunity
- Establish routines to identify, manage and monitor risks or privacy incidents, define improvement plans and targets
- Stay up to date with relevant legislation and act as contact point for regulatory authorities and other key stakeholders
- Contribute with the privacy perspective in product design processes and engineering discussions
- Help our marketing, support and sales teams communicate about privacy
- Train our team in privacy and ethical use of data, incl. onboarding of new employees
- Be the face of the company externally in media, speak about privacy at conferences etc., engage with relevant communities
- Take part in dialogue with our community and answer questions from users regarding privacy and info security, handle data requests from users
- Contribute to landing large customers by working through privacy requirements with sales team
- Run the weekly privacy and security review meeting
- You'll have a very independent role, reporting to the Chief Product Officer, but advising with the CEO, Exec. management and operational management team to build the kind of privacy culture you want to scale into the stratosphere.
- We expect you may have strong ambitions to become a leading privacy professional globally.